TRG works in the Bhambayi and Inanda Newtown C informal settlements outside of Durban in KwaZulu-Natal. To have a firm grasp on the magnitude of your commitment it is important to know a bit about South Africa. We prepared a travel packet for the 2016 trip that contains travel information, an overview of the country, and a sample schedule. Click below to download a copy.
Who Should Join The Team?
We are seeking motivated and hard-working volunteers and interns to join the TRG team! If you need a well-defined schedule, don’t eat leftovers, or are looking to primarily vacation and sightsee, this is not the opportunity for you.
A typical day involves 12-15 hours of work doing a variety of tasks. High energy, strong interpersonal skills, patience, and flexibility are required. A willingness to learn elementary Zulu phrases is strongly preferred.
Sightseeing activities are limited, however price quotes and sample itineraries are available for persons interested in leisure travel before or after the formal trip.
2017 Trip Dates
The 2016 Trip was help June 22 – July 8 with a 1-week and 2-week option for travelers. Typically, the cost of the trip is $2500-4000, not including roundtrip international airfare.
Dates and details for the 2017 trip have not yet been finalized. Please check back soon for more information. If you are interested in traveling on the 2017 trip, please fill in the form below to be placed on the trip update mailing list.
A Typical Day
- 6:00am Awaken, Dress, and Eat Breakfast
- 7:30am Depart for Conference Site
- 8:30am Set Up/Preparation
- 9:00am Meet your group of students
- 9:30am Opening Group Activity
- 10:00am Lead Conference Workshops/Activities
- 11:00am “Tea” (a full meal)
- 11:30am Lead Conference Workshops/Activities
- 2:00pm Lunch
- 2:30pm Group Project Work
- 4:00pm Large Group Activity
- 5:00pm Depart Conference site
- 7:30pm Dinner
- 8:30pm Debrief/Next day preparation/errands
- 11pm Sleep